Photos by Pat "Already Got My Entry" Carrigan.
The mid-week, Over The Hump Race Series
founded in Orange County, expands into LA County in 2013 with the
kick-off event on May 23rd at Castaic Lake, off the I-5 Freeway just
North of Magic Mountain. The LA County Over The Hump Race Series
follows the same guidelines that made the Orange County series
(that kicks off Tuesday May 21st) such a runaway success.
See those crazy steep climbs? The course runs around the bottom of them. Bad news for climbers, great news for the other 98% of us.
We got a chance to ride the Castaic Lake
course with a number of event supporters and sponsors. Unlike previous mountain bike races staged at Castaic, this is a 100% new layout with the intent of welcoming new riders while still offering plenty of challenge for the more experienced. A few notes:
* The course does not include the hurl hills that made up the old courses. While the new course is no cakewalk, it does not include long or steep climbs.
* The course includes a lot of flow. If you hit the hills right, momentum will be your friend.
* The course favors 29ers.
* There is plenty of passing room between the tighter sections.
* The tighter sections have cool berm turns and punchy little climbs.
* These sections are all-new for Casatic.
* There are not many places to recover if you hit your rev limiter. A steady effort will get the best results.
* There is a course split for beginners and sport racers than eliminates the worst climb. The split is a really fun singletrack section.
* The lap is around 4 miles and will take 15-18 minutes (we'll see what the pros can do to that).
It is hard to imagine any rider, from pro to beginner, who won't have
fun on this course. If you have never raced, haven't raced in years or
need a mid-week workout, this is the place. Click here
to get more information and the sign up.
Our pre-ride group was made up of series sponsors, local bike shop employees and the race promoters.
Event promoters Kenny Alexander (left) and Greg Flanigan sandwich BMX legend Mike Day who is testing the mountain biking waters. Mike plans to hit the events that do not conflict with his BMX racing commitments.