While we have not tested Cruise Control, it seems like a great training partner to start your new year with. Here is how it works.
By adjusting the tempo of your music in real-time, Cruise Control uses songs from your playlists to control your riding pace and heart rate. Simply plug in your target pace and start riding. By matching your heart rate to the music’s tempo, you can be confident you’re hitting your pace or heart rate goal. The Cruise Control App is available today in the Apple App Store for $4.99 (click here
There are four ways to Cruise Control your run:
Pace Mode – Pick a target speed and go. Simply match your foot strike with the music and let the rhythm take you to your target pace. Lab tests show that with a little practice this is extremely accurate at reaching and maintaining your targeted pace, with an average error of less than 2%.
Heart Rate Mode – Similar to the Pace Mode, just match your steps to the beat and let the music guide you to your target heart rate and keep you there. Lab tests show that this mode is also very accurate, with an average error of about 2 beats per minute (BPM) of the target heart rate (heart rate monitor required).
Cadence Mode – Plug in your goal strides per minute (SPM) and the let the music tempo take you there.
Free Run Mode – Just head out for a run while listening to your tunes. Cruise Control will automatically match the music to your running rhythm.
The Extra Sauce - Cruise Control’s additional features include:
• Easily select your favorite songs into epic running specific playlists.
• Switch songs, change playlists or use the thumb-up and thumb-down feature to keep track of those great and not-so-great tunes.
• Accurately measure running pace and cadence using the iPhone’s built-in sensors.
• Pair with ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart heart rate monitors and stride sensors for even more running data. Check out our favorites from our friends at Wahoo Fitness (www.WahooFitness.com).
• View your pace, cadence, heart rate and route map as you run including current, average and maximum values.
• Review your running history including mileage, distance, map, pace, cadence and heart rate.
• Share your runs via Facebook, Twitter and Google+ or email your runs including all your data for uploading to your favorite training website (including MapMyFitness, RunKeeper, Nike+, TrainingPeaks, GarminConnect, MapMyTracks, 2Peak, dailymile, Strava, or Dropbox).
Cruise Control is compatible with iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.